Three years ago, the Literacy Center of West Michigan (LCWM) submitted the winning application to PRforGoodWMPRSA, a pro bono outreach program of the West Michigan chapter of PRSA. As the awarded recipient, LCWM has benefited from pro bono public relations counsel from the chapter over the past few years.
Special thanks goes to WMPRSA member Terri Howe, APR, of Howe Marketing and Communications, for her generous contributions of time and talent to the program. Terri worked closely with both LCWM staff and board members as well as with GVSU students to provide strategic research, counsel and planning services. Terri was instrumental in helping LCWM to fill a part-time public relations specialist position.
WMPRSA board member Molly Klimas, APR, of Intent Public Relations, spearheaded the PRforGoodWMPRSA committee, serving in a liaison role as well as co-conducting a planning session for LCWM with Ms. Howe.
“We would like to thank WMPRSA for working with us to improve our public relations efforts. The experience has been invaluable and the results have made a tremendous impact on our organization,” LCWM Executive Director Susan K. Ledy said.
What PRforGoodWMPRSA did:
- Helped to determine PR general needs, provided PR counsel to LCWM
- Organized and led LCWM’s 2009 PR Planning Workshop
- Served as a liaison with GVSU School of Communications for a class research project conducted on behalf of LCWM’s Adult Tutoring Program
- Advised and secured PR intern prospects from GVSU class
- Advised LCWM on qualifications for a PR specialist position; reviewed resumes and attended all PR specialist interviews
- Worked with LCWM’s Fund Development Department on a new event proposal
- Co-presented with LCWM at a WMPRSA non-profit workshop in September 2011
More on the PRforgoodWMPRSA program