By Terri Howe, PRforGood Chair, Owner/Principal of Howe Marketing Communications LLC
…PRforGood that is. Mardi Gras is past, but as Easter approaches it’s a great time to reflect on the momentum that WMPRSA’s PRforGood committee has gained for its current non-profit partner, Family Promise of Grand Rapids (FPGR). In a two-year engagement that began in January 2012 and runs through the remainder of this year, PRforGood has helped FPGR in its mission to end homelessness one family at a time.
For its inaugural project with FPGR, PRforGood assisted with creating and managing a campaign that culminated in a one-day social media blitz in July 2012 that enabled FPGR to win a new truck in the Toyota 100 Cars for Good program (see photos). The new truck has seen steady use in the ensuing months with moving people, furniture and supplies in support of the daily needs of FPGR families in need.
The PRforGood committee is concentrating on keeping the ball rolling through the development of a comprehensive Public Relations plan that focuses on FPGR’s key objectives to:
- Increase the amount and number of individual gift donations to FPGR
- Create awareness for and use of FPGR’s Reaching Beyond Initiative to increase family services capacity (including budgeting classes, mentoring, furniture acquisition, linking families with Partners in Housing) as increasing capacity of emergency shelter is not an option
- Bolster amount of furniture donations
- Increase number of regular/returning volunteers
- Acquire more Partners in Housing units/participating landlords
PRforGood aims to support FPGR for the remainder of 2013 in meeting short term communications goals while preparing/training them to be able to move forward on their own by the end of the two-year commitment.
You can help too! FPGR and the PRforGood committee would welcome your participation. There are so many ways to contribute:
- Next time you purchase personal items like paper towels, toilet paper, disposable diapers, deodorant, toothpaste, etc., buy extra and drop them off at FPGR (906 Division, Suite 205). Towels and washcloths are also a huge need.
- Attend or sponsor FPGR’s “Dreams” Dinner on April 18 at the University Club. $50 per person.
- Contact the PRforGood committee to ask how you can put your mad PR skills to work to support projects for the remainder of the year
Please watch for future communications on how WMPRSA members can help support FPGR and the PRforGood committee. We’re working on putting together a group activity.
FPGR has helped over 800 Grand Rapids families with 1,400 children build a strong foundation for their future through temporary and permanent housing, case management, mentoring and furniture donation services.