Ottawa County Parks and Recreation is seeking a communications specialist. Details, including how to apply, are below.
Under the direction of the Parks and Recreation Director, coordinates communication strategies, marketing and public relations activities to promote utilization of Ottawa County Parks’ facilities and services by the community. Takes the lead in maintaining website information, utilizing social media, developing the quarterly newsletter, creating parks brochures and print media, coordinating radio and television appearances, organizing special events, serving as spokesperson with the public on key parks issues, and coordinating overall public relations efforts of the department.
This is a full-time position based at the Fillmore Complex in West Olive, MI. Some travel to various Parks and Open Space land in Ottawa County.
$23.28 – $29.49/hr. (2014 Wage Scale)
·Thorough working knowledge of the principles and practices of communications and marketing.
· Working knowledge of the provisions and applications of the Freedom of Information Act and Employee Right to Know Act.
· Thorough working knowledge of media business practices, as well as knowledge of publishing practices and processes.
· Working knowledge of public relations principles and practices.
· Excellent English language skills, including spelling, punctuation, grammar, construction and usage.
· Ability to design and deliver professional-quality multi-media presentations to a variety of audiences.
· Up-to-date knowledge on social media and the ability and willingness to stay current with trends.
· Excellent public speaking and presentation skills, along with excellent oral and written communications skills.
· Ability to interact positively and professionally with customers, community and business representatives, parks and recreation partners, elected officials, coworkers, supervisors, vendors, and members of the general public with widely diverse cultural and socio-economic backgrounds and varying levels of parks related knowledge and interpersonal communications skills.
Required Education, Training and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism, marketing, or related field and at least three years of progressively responsible experience in media relations and communications, including at least one year in marketing in a parks and recreation or related organization. Master’s degree in communications, public relations or marketing strongly preferred.
On-line application, with resume and cover letter, accepted at www.miottawa.org
Ottawa County is an Equal Opportunity Employer