Primary focus for this role is to manage media relations for Enbridge’s Line 5, which crosses the Straits of Mackinac and St. Clair River to gain support for the pipeline and achieve balance in media coverage, and all Enbridge operations in Michigan. This role, under direction from the Senior Manager, Operations & Projects Communications, US, and Director, U.S. Communications, will develop strategic and tactical media plans and manage implementation, including all media activities in Michigan, and work proactively to promote Enbridge as a safe operator that protects people, property and environment.
- Media Relations: Lead media relations for Enbridge in Michigan, including Line 5 and, as required, Liquids Pipelines operations. Will be responsible for developing and maintaining relationships with key state, local and regional media, including reporters and editors for major state-wide outlets and business media, as well as journalists in local markets along the Line 5 pipeline route and across Michigan. Will develop strategic and tactical media plans for Michigan and Line 5 under direction for Senior Manager, U.S. Operations & Projects Communications, and support development of a U.S. national media and reputation strategy. This position will identify and execute on opportunities for executive interviews, providing support and counsel as needed. This position will work closely with the Manager, Community Relations to ensure consistency of message and overall approach under the Michigan Reputation Strategy.
- Crisis Communications: Serves as a member of the public affairs Crisis Communications & Response Team, and may serve as an APIO Media Relations during a pipeline or facility emergency or other crisis.
- Media and Crisis Media Training: Will manage media and crisis media training for managers, supervisors and field employees in Michigan.
- Presentations and Speeches: Will work closely with the Manager, Community Relations to identify executive speaking opportunities, provide presentation assistance as needed to ensure consistency of message and prepare presenters for possible media attention related to speaking engagement.
- Consultants: Will manage media training vendor(s) and public relations firm re: their work in Michigan.
- Bachelor’s Degree in public relations, communications or related field. 10+ years of experience in public relations and/or communications, with significant expertise in media relations or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience as a working journalist a plus. Accreditation in Public Relations (APR) preferred, but not required.
- Superior news judgment and ability to make strategic decisions on effective response to issues that arise.
- Solid understanding of Michigan media market and proven track record in developing media contacts and relationships.
- Detailed understanding of communication theory and its application in the effective integration of messages across a variety of media, for a variety of target audiences.
- Ability to quickly grasp complex information and produce effective messages for use with media and other external stakeholders.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including consultation, negotiation, and facilitation. Strong working knowledge of AP Style.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Project management skills and experience managing external consultants.
- Able to deal with a variety of external and internal stakeholders, including senior management, and manage multiple projects at once, under deadline pressure.