Marketing Communication Specialist – Gilda’s Club/LaughFest
Gilda’s Club Grand Rapids, a non-profit cancer support community, and Gilda’s LaughFest, the nation’s only 10 day festival of laughter, are seeking a full-time marketing & communications professional with a minimum of 3 years’ experience. Bachelor’s Degree required. Ability to handle A to Z facets of marketing needs. Skilled communicator with excellent verbal and writing skills. Must enjoy a fast-paced environment, be flexible and team oriented. Email cover letter, resume and salary history to email@example.com. No calls please.
Minimum Job Requirements:
- 3-6 years previous marketing, public relations or related experience required
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution
- Ability and willingness to handle “A to Z” facets of marketing needs
- Proven ability to support development and implementation of comprehensive corporate communications plans and programs
- Proficient competency in MS Office, Publisher, Constant Contact, social media
- Demonstrated strong writing and editing skills
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Proven ability to communicate through the written word as well as in person
- Skilled communicator with thorough understanding of corporate communications, broadcast news, print media and social media
- Extremely organized and an eye for detail
- Prepared for fast paced, multi-tasking and flexible environment
- Able to work occasional evenings and weekends
Personal Characteristics Required:
- A hard worker with a high energy level who is organized, detail oriented and able to multi-task.
- A motivated self-starter able to work with minimal supervision.
- A team player who is flexible and able to complement the team of staff and volunteers currently in place.
- Ability to adapt to new situations with problem solving attitude
- Ability to communicate and work with diverse group of people
- Emotionally mature and self-confident person, with sound judgment and a good sense of humor, high level of integrity and committed to service and excellence.
- Compassion for people living with cancer and capacity to discuss cancer as a part of life either with members or volunteers.
Physical and Mental Requirements include being able to:
- Lift up to 30-35 pounds and carry, move and re-arrange furniture/tables/chairs with ease and as needed.
- Assist with general maintenance items like hauling garbage to the dumpster, removing bags of pop cans, dusting and the like.
- Use hands to type reports as needed on the computer or typewriter and use voice to speak on the telephone.
- Show proof of a valid vehicle license.
- Successfully handle the social and emotional demands of the job.
The Marketing Communications Specialist will work with the Gilda’s Club and LaughFest Leadership team to plan, oversee and execute the marketing and communication needs for organization. This will include hands on development of key marketing/communication pieces, website content/design and updates, social media strategy, as well as the coordination and oversight of work with staff, designers, printers, PR firm, and others as needed. The Marketing Communications Specialist will support in the management of our brand (both Gilda’s Club and LaughFest) and will help to generate increased awareness of our mission of emotional healthcare for those on a cancer or grief journey.
Position Responsibilities and Key Expectations:
This position will include, but is not limited to, the following position functions:
- Primary Position Responsibilities
- Develop, manage and implement the communication and marketing plan for Gilda’s Club Grand Rapids (GCGR) within goals and objectives established by the President and designated Leadership Team including:
- Increasing the visibility and awareness of our brand in the marketplace
- Creating methods to drive members and donors to the programs/events
- Working on promoting new projects that will be launched in the community (with possible brand distinction needs)
- Manage, organize and coordinate all marketing communications needs for Gilda’s Club Grand Rapids including:
- Developing and maintaining positive relationships with key people in the community, media, businesses, individuals
- Identify/generate opportunities to share the Gilda’s Club story with the public in all media/communication platforms
- Support and provide oversight of media releases and follow-through on media contacts, interviews, other.
- Develop strategy and support/oversee the content and administration of the Gilda’s Club and LaughFest websites, social media and other communication methods
- Work with GCGR/LF teams on promotional materials and awareness of fundraising and other public events
- Plan, manage and coordinate media purchase, placement and promotional projects
- Manage and coordinate video production as needed
- Support coordination of external talent teams supporting Gilda’s Club (e.g., website vendor, PR firm, video production)
- Generate, write, edit, layout and coordinate (with staff, designer and printer) all print and other materials for the program, development and special event areas including things like:
- Brochures & Flyers
- Newsletters – written and/or electronic
- Donor Packets
- New Member Materials
- Fundraising Event Materials
- Annual Report
- Program Calendar
- Serve as organization spokesperson when required for both Gilda’s Club and LaughFest
- Recruit and manage a volunteer team of professionals to assist with Marketing-Public Relations as necessary
- General Responsibilities
- Contribute to the unique environment and culture established by the Gilda’s Club staff for the Gilda’s Club membership
- Perform administrative tasks associated with the position as needed
- Participate in Gilda’s Club program events and activities as assigned
Position responsibilities may be expanded or re-assigned by a Director or the President on the immediate needs of Gilda’s Club Grand Rapids.